Regardless of how you all felt about The Force Awakens. Starkiller Base is kind of a more terrifying superweapon on an existential level.
1. Stationary, it is a base on a planet that has a regular orbit.
2. Capable of firing a beam that can destroy not just one planet but several across various distances.
3. The beam travels slowly and while this maybe a technically setback still provides the sinking feeling of dread and doom as you see it approach your planet. Like an asteroid coming to wipe us out and all hope being lost.
4. Was likely constructed for one single use with the goal to wipe out an entire civilization at once as oppose to a long dragged out war that would've came from destruction of each individual planet.
5. Despite having its planet imploded by the Resistance. Still managed to succeed in what it was created to do.
This was amplified Death Star terror.