VHS tapes can burn in hell. While they were the technological marvel of their time, they're pretty atrocious in a world that now has Netflix. Surprisingly though, you'd be a fool to throw them away, since some can be worth close to $2,100.
Love Antiques has compiled a list of the most valuable VHS tapes that might be stashed away in your basement. Most of them were quickly banned after release, or never got a DVD re-release, making them pretty much unviewable unless you have the tape. While they may be rare, someone has to have them...
Frankenstein’s Castle of Freaks (JVI) - $2,100
The Beast in Heat (JVI) - $1,700
The Legend of Hillbilly John (Rainbow) - $1,500
Journey Into Beyond (Citycenta GO) - $1,500
Lemora, Lady Dracula (IFS) - $1,300
Don’t Open the Window (Films of the 80s) - $1,300
Black Decameron - $1,100
Flesh Eaters (Knockout) - $1,100
Curse Of Death - $1,000
Other valuable tapes include:
- Betrayed (Taboo) – $1600
- Celestine (GO) – $1600
- Sisters Of Blood (Alpha) – $1000
- House Of Perversity (GO) – $850
- Anthropophagus The Beats (Videoshack) – $700
- Hitchhike To Hell (VRO) – $700
- Devil Hunter (CineHollywood) – $700
- Eegah (Trytel) – $700
- Cannibal Man (Intervision) – $700
- Gallery Of Horror (Trytel) - $700
- Tomb Of The Undead (Trytel) – $700
- Nightmare Maker [Orange Sleeve Version] (Atlantis) – $550
- Madhouse [Alt. Sleeve] (Medusa) – $350
- The Evil Dead [Not Guilty sleeve version] (Palace) – $250
- The Love Butcher (Intervision) – $250
Love Antiques also put together a guide on how to generally identify valuable VHS tapes. You should avoid common mainstream titles that were mass produced and instead go for "one-off" releases produced in small batches, preferably within the ‘video nasties’ category. Micro-budget labels such as Knockout and Trytel is something to look out for. Also, pre-classification titles are much more valuable than the later ones.
Could've sworn this body's seen The Evil Dead in a buddy's uncle's place. He even had additional VHS tapes within his exposed shelf.
Really sweet collection nonetheless, especially Death Curse of Tartu.